[RC] LD's - Kathie Ford

Well, it's hot and I'm inside (darn) and been reading these.

I find that LD's can be fun.  As far as good or bad, my experience has taught me that it really depends on the horse and the situation.  I have horses that will take care of themselves regardless of the distance and one that had to learn on longer distances.

Plus, I've used them to ascertain if the horse even liked the sport or not, to introduce them to the camping experience, or for a horse that likes to be out on the trail in a social situation, but just doesn't have it in them to do a longer ride, or for an older horse that still wants to work some like our 20 year old.  She's doing CFW with her daughter this year.  Will be fun. Mother/daughter riding mother/daughter mares!!  Plus, I do feel it is a good intro as far as how things are run ie, vetting criteria, learning to pace, read your horse etc and learn for oneself.  I started this way 10 years ago.  I learned I wanted to learn more and do more.

On the other hand, an experienced rider I have to agree can get most any horse thru a slow 50 cause they know what to do and are adept at reading a horse well.

So, guess it can work many ways.

I remember after my first 25 I was pooped!  But now it seems like such a short distance!  Isn't that funny?!! Smiley emoticonIt is even hard to just do a 3 mile trail ride! lol....

funny how things change!

cheers,

kathie