From: Karen Casemier <kcrazzmatazz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:16:02 -0400
Subject: [RC] LDs "bad" for horses

In the current discussion about 100 mile participation, as well in past discussions, I've heard multiple people mention that the LD rides are not the best thing *for certain types of horses*.

As someone who was planning on staying at the LD level for a while because I thought it was the "right" thing to do, and who is now thinking my horse would be more comfortable mentally with the longer distances (she just seems to settle better the longer I ride), I would like to hear more from people whose horse just weren't LD horses. Really, the only thing right now preventing me from entering a 50 is my inexperience - despite reading multiple discussions about the different conditioning approaches for 50 mile rides, I still don't know how to gauge if my mare is ready (perhaps that is the problem - one person insists you need to be riding 50 miles a week, another says they get in one good conditioning ride on the weekend - no wonder I'm confus ed!).

Comments?