From: <sandy.l.holder@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:58:14 -0700
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   'endurance'

If not for experienced friends, I would not have attempted my first 25
If not for experienced friends and horses, I would not have attempted my first 50
If not for experienced friends and horses and desire, I would not have attempted my first 100

To me, it all took endurance.  I didn't have the experience to know I could finish a 25 miler or a 50 miler.  I had too many people tell me I COULD do the Tevis to question their judgement (hehehe)!

At the Oakland Hills ride last year, there were young people and older folks doing a 7 or 11 miler 'starter ride' (can't remember exactly what they called it).  It was directed by a first class team starting with AERC Ride Management, Vets and Volunteers - all with words of advice and encouragement.  This taught quite a few people A LOT and I know that a number of them - even if they didn't make the initial distance - are out there training to try again.  Call it what you want but I applaud AERC and ride management for reaching out to everyone.  Without the connections, the people and the information, I would not have known that my horse SHOULD drink when he's out on trail, much less about elytes, proper nutrition, tack, training, etc.

I don't believe in growth for growth sake but I do believe in growing the membership because of what we know and can pass along (including encouragement).  Just because I've gone 70 miles (yes I'm going to attempt another 100 Mrs. McCrary - your entry to SP is already in the mail!), doesn't mean that a 25 mile rider is 'any less' of an endurance rider.  You should have seen the look on the 7 year old girl who passed me on her 4 foot high pony at the SASO ride when we were both doing the 25 earlier this year, and the look of determination my 22 year old daughter gave me on that same ride (it was her first).  It all takes endurance.

Yes, I now think 25 milers are pretty short but if you'd told me that 4 years ago I would have said you were nuts!!  Please be positive people and inclusive not exclusive.  I would not be where I am today if I hadn't taken the 'baby steps' and felt proud of my endurance accomplishments!!

All the best,
Sandy
p.s. I'm not trying to stir up a heated debate here, just contemplating what I wouldn't have accomplished if people had somehow shunned my initial endurance goals.
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.  PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP is a Delaware limited liability partnership.