[RC] 'endurance'/LD/fun rides - rides2far

At the Oakland Hills ride last year, there were young people and
older  folks doing a 7 or 11 miler 'starter ride' (can't remember
exactly
what  they called it).

I've got some beginners who will be coming to their first ever rides
soon. They'll be doing the 25. That sounded like a challenge to them at
first, then  I explained to them that they'll probably be done in 4 hrs
or less assuming they trot which they plan to do. They were disappointed.
They ride 4 hrs. all the time." What's the use of all this camping and
such for that?" is sort of their reaction. I don't want them getting the
habit of considering an endurance ride an "afternoon out" and loading
their horses right up and heading home, but hit's hard to tell them they
should stay when they're done by 11:30 AM.

I just don't see that riding 4 or 5 hrs. is such a big deal that we have
to offer something even shorter. We've got little kids doing the 25 on
Shetland ponies. How low does our entry level have to go? I think by
trying to glorify the LD we've convinced ourselves that just completing
one is a big deal so we must offer something even shorter for an entry
level. In truth, there's a huge difference between those who race the LD
for year end awards and just completing one in 6 hrs. I just don't see
the need for anything shorter as a training level. I think the idea of a
clinic in conjunction with a first time LD is a great idea. Even better
would be having some mentors (who have to be entered in the ride
according to the rules) to agree to pace with some of the newcomers, but
with just a little guidance a person who has already been trail riding
their horse should be able to begin in LD. Just my opinion.

Angie