[RC] Horses on IV's - Bruce Weary DC

Maybe we can take a different view regarding intravenous rehydration of horses, whether it takes place at a ride or elsewhere. A little understanding of horse physiology might help us all to make better and less frantic decisions when it comes to the welfare of our horses. Susan G. and Heidi, please forgive me for the imperfect explanation I am about to give, and feel free to comment/ critique.
So much of the horse's healthy bodily functions rely on adequate fluids. Each body system uses water a little differently. The nervous system uses water as a nutrient conveyor and (with electrolytes) as a conductor of electrical messages. The heart uses the fluid properties of blood to convey oxygen and nutrients to all body systems. The GI tract uses water for fermentation, digestion, proper gut distension, and softening of the bowel contents. Extreme exercise affects different horses differently, but the truly fit horse has adapted his system to deal more effectively with the bodily changes that occur. He can become more efficient with his sweating, learn to drink more frequently, and shift fluids to different body compartments and systems more easily than an unfit or overstressed horse. When dehydration begins to set in, the systems mentioned above can be adversely affected. The nervous system may be affected, and increased, decreased or garbled messages may be sent. This could lead to poor coordination (stumbling), increased heart rate, sweating, or other neurological symptoms. The heart is affected by dehydration since it has to pump blood that is getting ever thicker. This causes fatigue in the heart muscle itself, which can increase heart rate and can send a "panic" message to the nervous system which may then overreact and cause other systems to go into a panic of their own. The GI tract can collapse, impact, stop moving, even begin to die if dehydration reaches critical levels.
When fluids are administered, watching the process may remind many of us of "medical" or "hospital" procedures. Needles, suspended bags of fluids, and concerned caregivers seriously overseeing the process.All very scary, because we all know the potential outcome of failed treatment. But, putting a horse on fluids, as I understand it, is a form of "forced drinking." Since we can't make a horse gorge himself on water (not a good idea, anyway) the vet can use the vascular system as a larger absorption mechanism and more direct delivery system to all the vital organ functions, and literally save the horse's life by simply restoring the fluids these systems need to stay turned on. Yes, it all looks very scary, but you'll notice that the vet, while concerned, is not scared. Probably because he understands the process, and his knowledge and familiarity eliminates the fear. Just like so many things in life.
Prevention, through educated riders, properly conditioned, fed, and hydrated horses that are ridden sensibly under the conditions of the trail, is the most powerful tool we have to keep our horses healthy and safe. Don't ever hesitate to use intravenous hydration to help or save your horse. Many of the people watching and whispering are often saying things like "Glad it's not me" and "I've been there. I know how stressful it can be." Only the idiots are being judgemental, and by definition not worth worrying about. Bruce Weary