Re: [RC] Vet question/heat - Chris Paus

I'd be concerned about anhydrosis and with that mare's age and thick coat, cushings too. There is medication that has to be administered daily, but it really relieves a lot of symptoms of Cushings for those old dear ones. If the owner is willing to invest the money and time.

You did a good thing to shave the poor horse. One of my broodmares developed anhydrosis symptoms one summer and she seemed quite miserable. it was awfully hot.

I hosed her down every day in the hottest part of the day. And on Trumans' recommendation, started giving her Morton Lite Salt. I also put a little regular electrolytes in her feed. After a few days of that, she started sweating again and stopped the scary panting.

chris

"rides2far@xxxxxxxx" <rides2far@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I know this isn't endurance related, but it's heat related which is almost the same and local vet is clueless whereas you guys have seen it allt.. Need some advice. The junior I used to sponsor has her old 25 year old stocky 14 hand App mare. They called me night before last and said she's panting hard. I saw her last winter and she looked like a yak with 6" long hair. I asked if she had shed this spring and they said yes. I told them to hose her down and take her temp. Next morning hadn't heard from them so checked on her. Turned out she had actually shed down to a TWO inch, thick winter coat. It's been STIFLING hot with high humidity here. I told her to get her to her barn (had to walk her a mile, she was at a pasture down the road) and bath her, then I would borrow some big clippers and get that hair off (my A-5's couldn't have touched it). She called later to say they'd gotten her home but she was laying down now and wouldn't get up. (I was at work so couldn't get there till afternoon) They had the vet out. He drew some blood an
d said he was going to check her kidneys and supposedly gave her a shot to get her temp down. It was 103. I told her to sponge her with ice water if necessary to see if she could get her to quit panting. I bought a fan and took it over there to aim at her.

I went back yesterday evening and body clipped her. She looked uncoordinated. She's panting heavily but wasn't damp. I couldn't tell that earlier because she'd been hosed. Now I'm wondering about anhydrosis. Can a horse have a heat stroke and look wobbly? I asked them if she'd had access to salt and she hadn't. They gave her a pan of salt and she ate some. She drank water on her own, peed & pooped, ate carrots inthusiastically, and was eating her hay, but when she walks she's pretty uncoordinated. Vet called and said her liver titers were very normal. Any advice? I thought about giving her electrolytes...would endurance electrolytes be appropriate? She's got plain white table salt right now.

Angie