[RC] Great post Frank!! - KimFue

"Initially, this sport EXCLUDED horses and riders, by its very trying nature.
Somewhere, the coin flipped and now, INCLUSION seems to be the driving dynamic.
It's like the internet...it just IS...there isn't much real control it seems...it just goes on and on.

Growth of something is not a bad thing, but when that "growth" becomes "change" (at the cellular level), what was ain't no more."

Frank

Frank,
    Your post really says it all.  When I was putting materials together for a seminar on the 100 mile distance I came across a letter that was written (1/7/77) by Lucille Jones, Jim Jones widow,  and was included in the 1977 Endurance Registry calendar.  Although the letter was over 28 years old it really embodies all of what endurance riding is and should be.  Change and evolution is inevidable but I really do believe that as endurance riding grows towards accomodating all venues of "distance riding" be it fun rides, LDs, or groomed race courses, it is even more important to remember our past and try not to stray to far from the roots, the 100 mile distance in one day.  The 100 mile distance is the foundation our sport and should remain the ultimate goal.   As is apparent from this letter,  hardship and obstacles have always been an ever present as part of reaching the rider's "endurance goal".  I don't understand why today we feel that this should not be an element of the sport.

A big congratulations to all the Tevis riders who "endured" extreme conditions and brought their horses safely in to Auburn.  I was not one of the finishers this year,  but just being out there "enduring" the heat, the rocks, the dust, etc. even for part of the course is better then most of my "sucessfull"  ride experiences.  It truely makes me appreciate the wonderful horses we ride and the skill and horsemanship of those riders who did complete.  This experience will make me work harder towards next year's ride and hope I am smarter and luckier out on the trail in 2006.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648