Re: [RC] re: Truman's comments on 100s - Cindy Collins

Truman:  My thoughts are that more and more 100s are fast loops these
days...especially with the ridiculous pressures from FEI/international
requirements for speed.  You say metabolic problems have increased on
100s.  I say perhaps the "dumbing down" of 100 mile trails and the need to
ride at speed to compete internationally, contribute to this problem.
Perhaps I'm totally off base, but my gut tells me that these fast,
relatively flat 100s more closely resemble 50s, than people/horses who are
going "to finish" the BH or Tevis.  I once had a great 50 mile horse, a
speed horse(easily could do sub 4 hour 50s), who only did one 100 miler
and I loved him with all my heart.  He's buried here in my backyard.  He
was a family member.  However, I didn't consider him a great endurance
horse because he was not a 100 mile horse, and to me that's endurance
riding.  This is philosophical to me.  Yes, 100s aren't a piece of cake
and take preparation.  However, I also know people who took horses out of
the pasture (when their "endurance" horse went lame the week before the
ride) and finished the BH 100 on them.  They rode very slowly, always on
the edge of the time cut off.  Am I recommending this...no.  I only
mention it to say that lots of horses "can" do a 100 with good
horsemanship and care.  Because it may help the people out there following
our discussion, Truman, how do you know your gelding can't do 100s.
You've never entered him in one.  This could be enlightening to some
people struggling with the concepts.  My gelding who was so fast didn't
have the legs to do 100s.  Metabolics were never an issue.  He had the
desire, too.  He blew both tendons early in his career, but after a year
long lay off, came back and was able to do very well in 50s and did finish
one 100 miler (a very respectable 3rd place at the Twenty Mule Team).
However, he could not hold up to regular 100s and I didn't want to break
him down.  His brain never understood the limits of his body.  Well,
enough of a trip down memory lane, Truman.  Didn't mean for this to ramble
so much.  Cindy