[RC] Summer Breeze ~ Daniel Boone Distance Riders - JANUSTUDIO

Summer Breeze ~ Daniel Boone Distance Riders

Just wanted to say a public THANK YOU to the determined, stoic, manic, men
and women, their spouses, and any other endurance deranged person that got
hooked into helping them put on a splendidly run endurance ride this weekend!!
Management experience, good Vets, and lots of volunteers really paid off under
most difficult conditions. The gallons of sweat, running during that ride and
the
many days preceding it, could have raised the ocean levels....

With heat advisories, heat indexes passing 100, only occasional breezes to
tease, lots of sun, astute management, wonderful camping facilities, yummy
riders meal, and lots of it, great trails, which were well marked, awards well
earned, we all had a great time!!!  But, I have to say, as a rider, it was one
of
those events that gets better as the memory fades.... You know, the one you
can talk about for years, and so glad you survived to tell the tell....and hope
to never have to endure it again.

I had promised to take my granddaughter (who is 8) to at least one more ride
so she could do a 25 mile LD before school started. She had done a Novice
(ctr) 15 mile ride in the Spring, and thought it was great. But, I was a little
concerned about that promise though, as the heat in our area just kept getting
hotter and hotter with humidity to match. Ugh, misery for all living things.
But, off we went to the great new location at Willow Creek for the annual
Summer
Breeze with fingers crossed. At least mine were. I had planed to ride the
first day on the LD to take the edge off of my horse, as he can be a stinker
for
several miles. As it turned out though, the heat seemed to take that silliness
out of him. Well, at least by ride time on Sat. morning. Check-in without his
buddy on Friday, was an unpleasant sweat slinging, vein popping, effort.
<sigh> Even with the heat, he did well, and finished the ride in 9th place...
Paige was jumping up and down with anticipation for ‘her' day....Especially
when
they were passing out completion T shirts and she was wanting one, bad...

Paige and Jack's day finally arrived and she was all business. Jack,
foolishly thought he was out for yet another short ride and was glad to be out
of his
corral....ha! He evidently hadn't been listening to his buddies that kept
telling him about their weekend adventures with me... We proceeded along like a
big Oreo ~ Mary Lynn, on her bay horse, Breezee, with Paige in the middle on
Jack, a grey, and myself on my bay horse, Slick. She thought that was funny,
but
it kept her in the middle most of the time as we switched leaders during the
ride. We were having a great time, trotting, cantering, etc. then Jack decided
to unload his rider when we started to canter around the bean field. And did.
Ho, ho...my concern for him, and the heat, (he hadn't been doing as much
conditioning and just started doing rides this year) went right out the window.
Paige sucked back the tears dusted herself off and got back on. A wet
neckerchief, and swallow of water with a Tylenol, and we were off again. No
mercy for
Jack now.  Jack is not a horse that likes to work much, so it wasn't too long
before she was having to do some pushing. I swear, I could see in his face that
he was regretting his little nasty.... Made it around the first 15 mile loop
in good time, and that stinker pulsed down a minute before my, much more
conditioned horse. That pleased Paige to no end...<g>
We just had enough time to get back to the trailers, down a quick snack, feed
the horses their slushies, and we were off for the final 10 mile loop. Heat
was getting really sticky, and the horses were panting like overloaded freight
trains. Jack  wanted to trail along behind, and when I stopped my horse to
wait on him, he would stop too....He didn't understand the Oreo theme, nor
cared.
He has to be the most ‘no go' Arabian I've ever known...But he makes a great
child's horse.
Despite the uncomfortable heat, the trails were beautiful, and much
appreciated. I would go back there any time.
Water on the horses, water on us, trot, trot, trot, then finally we were off
walking into the timer again. Pulsing down this time took longer, and I have
to thank the many people on hand to help the riders with that effort. My
goodness, the water would heat up the instant it went on. Water on, water off,
water
on, water off. Don't know who brought the big industrial fan, but it was much
appreciated. Still, just the short walk to the P/R would jump up the pulse
again. Finally, we got down to the 60 mark, and we went to the Vet. Got much
better marks there than I was expecting, and Paige was all smiles with her
completion, and REALLY earned that T shirt!

I am so very pleased to be a member of such a hard working group of people
who make up the Daniel Boone Distance Riders!!

And, as always, my hat is off to those wondrous creatures that work so hard
to make us happy ~ our horses!

Jan ~ a.k.a. Granny Jan