[RC] My Tevis experience short version - sandy . l . holder

The BEST - trotting to within 100 yds of each vet check, hoping off while
he was walking, pulling his bit, lossening his girth (still walking) and
going right up to the vet and at 58 or 60 - even out of the canyons!!

The WORST - after the top of Squaw (10 miles in)  when Jan's horse freaked
out, all the horses started backing up and the one in front of me (no red
ribbon) backed to Tally.  When Tally touched him with his nose, he kicked
back.  That was my only real concern shared with the vets at each check and
was grade 2 at FH (70 miles in).  Metobollically he was A's except for B+
for gut sounds.  Having never done Tevis, I asked Bob Morgan (vetting
Tally) his opinion and he thought it would probably go to grade 3, so we
pulled.  He was prancing around looking good (sound) at 9 a.m. Sunday.
I've had a few folks say that most horses are a little lame at FH because
of the hard asphalt but with him never having been off and not knoing what
was ahead (my first Tevis), I was cautious.

It was an incredibly beautiful day and although my goal of completing was
not attained on my first attempt, my ultimate goal of 10 seasons with Tally
(starting when he was 12) is about half way there.  We can give it another
shot next year.  Congrats to everyone who attempted and those that
finished.  I particularly enjoyed hooking up with Bob Eaton at Last Chance
after broken heartedly leaving my riding buddy Dick Carter (succumbed to
the flu that started before the ride).

All the best,
Sandy, Tally and the gang
-
This document was not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be
used, for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the
taxpayer.

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged
material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
computer.  PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP is a Delaware limited liability
partnership.