[RC] 100's - Marlene Moss

Interesting discussion about 100’s.  My husband and I have been talking about length of rides a lot recently.  We used to do primarily CTR but are doing more “endurance” now.  We’ve done lots more LD for various reasons, but recently because we’ve been trying to do multidays to save on fuel costs and we’d rather do 2-3 LD than 1 50.  And we have done a few 50’s, just not this year – yet.  But my husband is having a mental block.  We had one horse get slightly colicky after a tough 50, he wasn’t treated, but my husband is having a hard time dealing with not recognizing any signs (even in hindsight the most he could say was there was one point where he asked him twice to trot, but otherwise EDPP etc. was normal).

Anyhow, the interesting thing he said to me as we monitored Tevis was that he wants to do Tevis next year and he is less concerned about doing a 100 than 50’s.  He couldn’t explain it, but after reading Cindy’s comments on horses looking better after a slow 100 than some after a 50, I think that’s what he really felt.  And also, I think he is looking at Tevis, or another 100 (as I’m leaning toward BH right now!) as a single manageable event, rather than a whole season of 50’s where anything can pop up at any point.

But our current goal is Grand Canyon, so we’d better get hopping on some 50’s!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com (saddle fit for the horse in motion)

Available for saddle fittings at Colfax Coalrush endurance ride in NM

www.mossrockranch.com (sale horses and more)

719-351-5037 (cell)

719-748-9073 (home)