[RC] misc. stuff - Cindy Collins

First, Tom Noll's story-Tom, thank you so much for supporting the BH 100.
Thank you for being a wonderful writer!  People like you are why some of
us keep killing ourselves trying to keep the ride going.  You are
appreciated.  Next year you'll finish...and, hopefully my trail buddy,
Frank Solano, and I will be there with you.

Tom Sites...as always, your insights are appreciated and you make great
points!

For the "newbies", especially Eve:  Please try to keep in mind that many
of us started horses on 100s.  It was their first ride, ever.  In fact, I
have a horse right now that I wish I had started on the Big Horn instead
of in some flat, fast 50s.  The two horses I started on 100s did better
than the horses I started on 50s.  I have 8,000 miles and I've only done
two 25 milers in my career...both in 1980 when I started.  I'd never take
a horse on a 25 miler now, unless it was all I could do physically...and,
of course, that may happen soon at my age.  However, I won't want the AERC
to call it endurance.  I think 25 milers are, generally, terrible for
their minds.  I condition that far.  What's the point of paying for it?!
I hate to sound like a Nike ad, but just do it.  100s are so much better
for horses...especially hard, mountainous ones.   Good luck to you, Eve.
BTW, I work full time, too, and normally the very best I can do is ride
once or twice during the week and a long ride on weekends.  And, living in
Wyoming, weather often changes plans.  During the winter I try to take a
dressage lesson once a week to try to stay in some kind of shape.  I don't
seriously condition my horses until about 6-8 weeks prior to their first
ride of the season.  That's all the weather will allow.  I consider those
first 50s of the season conditioning rides.  We are not wealthy people and
I do not have a living quarters trailer, yet.  You can do this!  Cindy