[RC] Tevis website - Dana B.

Lynner wrote:  "It would have been nice to see photos, but without financial support,
it's a ton of effort and expense."

Bingo.....

Thanks for your kind words and those of others.  As you who have been there know, the webcast folks, entirely a volunteer group,  work themselves into the ground.

If coverage in someone's opinion was inadequate, then I would suggest that a letter be sent with recommendations to the Western States Trail Foundation enclosing a generous contribution designated for the purpose of retaining people to provide enhanced coverage.

Please remember that this trail covers remote locations relying on radio communications (all volunteer driven) which are subject to the performance of repeaters outside of ride/radio control.  Although there are definitely time delays in the transmission of data, I find it highly improbable that it took two hours for Cathy's win to be reflected in the webcast.  I was present as data was being input in the wee hours, and the data I observed was quite timely.

As for photos,  photographers literally hike miles in extremely remote and difficult terrain taking hours for them to get to a location and return.  Hours and hours are involved, exclusive of photo processing time.  There were a number of photographers on the trail, and the wares of several were available for purchase at the fairgrounds today.  I suspect others will provide links as they become available as the folks who have spent the last 3 days in HOT weather return to their computers and are able to devote the hours required to processing them.

For 'color' on the ride and trail conditions, I would suggest daily checking the Auburn Journal for articles such as this one:

Performing a Google search would probably also lead to articles in other local publications such as the Sacramento Bee and even Bay Area publications which occasionally highlight local riders attending Tevis.

Local weather information, along with statistical averages, is available at www.weather.com.  Search for zip code 95603.

Dana Baldwin,
Mother and wife and friend of webcast volunteers who don't particularly like horses or rides or AERC but who spent three whole days in dusty 100+ degree temperatures because they understand that the webcast is about more than entertaining folks at home and care about riders and rider safety and the flow of information at the ride for the protection of those out on the trail (including sweep riders, like moi)

ddbpaso@xxxxxxxxx