[RC] WEC 2002 -where are they now? - Laura Hayes

Kathy asked where the WEC 2002 horses are, and why they are not 3000 mile horses...well, I can only guess as to why some of them don't get to 3000 miles.  My guess would be that if they are not, it may be because they were asked to go faster than most of the horses who eventually go 3000 miles, or with specific goals in mind, those riders chose to ride those horses in just 'premier' rides, and not every ride within driving distance.  It is just another way to ride endurance.  Just my thoughts.

I took care of horses at WEC 2002 in Spain (the only American to sleep in the groom's quaters) , and so I got to know them pretty well. I can't speak for all of the horses, but Catch a Wave is 18 this year, I think- he started his career late in life and still he won his last two rides, a 50 and a 100 last season.  Smokerise Finally has darn close to 3000 miles and is the 2004 100 mile champion, having finished nine 100 mile rides last year.  I am not sure about Ali Darkness and Red, but obviously Paladon and Shahdon are still going strong.

The best part of AERC (besides, of course, just riding...) is that we can all have different goals and different avenues to pursue them...

Laura Hayes
Vine Cliff Farms
Brocton, NY
AERC# 2741