Re: [RC] Feeding in Extremely Cold Weather - LOUISE BURTON

Hi Maryanne and all,
Here in Oklahoma it is quite common to have it rain, and really RAIN, and be below freezing.  This occurs when the upper atmosphere is warm and the layer underneath is cold. I don't think this happens much out west; we had never heard of freezing rain when I lived in Idaho! It is a dangerous situation for horses and the one time when all of of our horses must go in the barn or be covered in big waterproof blankets!  (A real trick with 18)  The worst I can remember is pouring rain and SEVENTEEN F (not C...I'm guessing -20C?).
My first endurance ride (50) it was 25 and raining.  The horses accumulated a bunch of ice in their tails and it weighed a ton!  I remember the icicles on my horse's mane as I rode the ride.
It is almost 70 today and the high tomorrow is supposed to be 38 in the morning, with wind chills once again well below freezing by the afternoon.
Louise

Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians
http://pages.prodigy.net/firedancefarms