[RC] Old Horses/Lost Horse - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Jeanne Pepper pepperja@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Having had experience with both subjects thought I'd share.
Plenty of info on the subject of how a horse behaves when lost on the archives
but the general concenses seems to be..don't expect
them to find their way home.For some unknown reason
even the friendliest critter seems to become completely
confused and even hides from the people who
are looking for him.That's what my
"in your pocket "critter did,much to my
surprise.Unfortunatly this behavior has led
many times to the horse being recovered
only after it has died.My advice will
always be..if your horse gets out of your
site go after it ASAP and get as many
as you can out looking too.Time is DEFINITELY
a factor!
The person posting about her old horse
wasn't trying to "dump him" but
was trying to find him a home that would keep him happy &
active in his older years.Not all of us have pastures to
keep our old friends grazing in when we no longer
feel they should have to work for a living.
If I did I would still own every horse I ever owned,
or know in what part of the field my buddy rested.
Since this has never been the case for me I tend to sell
my horses while still "young"after MUCH careful screening
of potential new owner but one horse,Kamar,my Tevis horse,
I refused to sell.I promised him along side that dark river bed
in the moonlight ,that if he got me through this
ride ,he'd never have to work hard in his life
& I'd make SURE he always had a GOOD HOME.He went to
several homes in his remaining years.Ridden by junior
riders on LD,teaching youngsters to ride & finally
resided with a middle-aged lady who wanted a horse
all her life & he was her first.When his teeth failed
she kept fig newtons in the barn for "treats".He
finally passed at 33 & she burried him in his pasture.
She actually "owned" him more years than I ,but she
knew that the agreement was always I'd come get
him any time she no longer could keep him,and I dropped by,unannounced many
times,to see him & make sure
he was OK.I'm SO grateful to her for the loving
care she gave him & I hope the poster can find such
a home for her guy.