Re: [RC] WHAT TO DO WITH " OL LAD" - Dbeverly4

In a message dated 1/19/2005 4:10:30 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
HE IS A WONDERFULL OLD GUY!..NEEDS AN OLD PRO..LIKE HIM HA..I WOULD TAKE HIM BACK..AND PUT HIM DOWN IF HE JUST CAN NOT DO IT ANYMORE.. I JUST WANT HIM TO HAVE A ONE LAST CHANCE..?
Why can't he just live out his life in a pasture?  I guess I don't understand that part.  Granted 24 isn't really all that old (depending on the horse) but I'd rather keep my 24 year old (God willing I had one) and take good care of him, give him the retirement he deserves.  If I couldn't do that and get a younger horse, I'd go with taking care of the old guy... he earned it.

24 and healthy is too young to "put down" because you've lost interest and time, that just is not fair to the horse.  However, if you're unable to take care of him properly then putting him down would be a mercy killing.

Sylvia