[RC] girth sores - Jonni

Since I changed my english saddle for a Barefoot Cheyenne treeless saddle
my mare gets sores behind her elbows. She never had any with my english
saddle, which needed a normal girth.<<<

Before you go buying a bunch of different girths, consider it is not the
girth that is the problem, but how the saddle FITS the horse. I did a quick
search for your saddle, and found some photos. at:

http://loristack.com/barefootpics.htm

Maybe the girth placement is just too far forward into your horses elbows.
If you still have your english saddle, put it on as you normally did, ride a
little, and then see where the girth rides on the horse. Then, saddle up
with your treeless saddle, and see if the girth is more forward than the
english saddle was. I don't see that this particular treeless saddle has the
option to 3 point rig like some of them do, which will pull the girth back
out of the horses "armpits". But, maybe that is an option, that I am just
not aware of.

Do you lift your horses front legs out in front of him after you tighten the
girth, to smooth out the skin from under the girth. That might help. (but if
it is indeed too far forward, it probably won't do much.)

Good luck. I'd sure consider fit, before spending more money on girths. Oh,
BTW, I had one of those horses who could not tolerate Neoprene. Would swell
and get edemas under girths, breast collars, cruppers...what ever. Some
horses seem to be allergic. I think maybe they hold in too much heat on some
horses too.

Jonni