Re: [RC] Horse Eyesight - KathyZ1

My horse hates pigs.  We saw a little pot bellied pig (well not really little, those suckers get pretty porky) on the trail being walked in a harness.
Bitsy's head popped up, she splayed those four legs, then spun and ran.
I nearly fell off of her in laughter.  Hilarious.
But the really funny incident is when I was riding my friends VERY seasoned NATRAC/endurance horse.  This mare is 25 (you'd never know it) has thousands of trail miles on her and is a very seasoned and dead calm trail horse.  We were traveling up a narrow switch back trail one day with a sharp drop off to the left and a steep, straight up hill to the right and I was ponying my horse, Bitsy.  Around a corner comes a couple with backpacks.  The guy had one of those really huge metal framed ones.  Fine.  Nothing bothers April.  All of a sudden a kid (in the backpack) peeks around the guy's head, starts waving his little arms around and very excitedly starts screaming at April!
April:  WHAT THE HELL IS THAT TWO HEADED THING THAT SPEAKS AND GESTURES WILDLY???"  She took off at a gallop up what I thought was a cliff (Cougar Rock?) and didn't stop until we got to the switch back above us where she froze, panting.  Meanwhile, Bitsy wasn't the least bit bothered by the monster so saw no reason at all to run.  I didn't want to drop her lead line so I was being drawn and quartered while this family looked on in amazement.  I did manage to drag Bitsy along behind although for the next few days my shoulder paid for the trouble.
I guess there's always something new and scary out there in the wild.
Kathy

You wrote:
... and pigs ... and an old cowboy once told me elephants, but I think he was pulling my leg.

Nancy Sturm