[RC] International Endurance - k s swigart

Steph said:

I don't know the exact sequence of events, but after
watching the show, he purchase SMR Fayette do Cameo
from Potato Richardson (they were Tevis winners and
Haggin Cup recipients). Hasume hooked up with Hal
and Anne Hall in order to learn about Endurance, and
train him and his horse. ONE YEAR later, he rode and
finished his first Tevis! This was in 2003. Prior to 2002
he had never even been on a horse...
Hasume also set his sights on International Endurance.
He decided he would try to ride for Japan in the 2004 WEC.

This story is a perfect example of why Endurance Riding will never be an
Olympic Sport.  Can you see the "in depth" story now?  The International
Olympic Committee likes to think that participation in and/or winning
the Olympics is about years and years of practice, dedication, and
sacrifice.

Personally, the Olympic model does nothing for me.  One of the things
that I like about endurance is how inclusive it is of true amateurs and
how it can be participated in successfully both by people who have
regular jobs and by people who don't start until later in life.

Here is to hoping that it stays that way (although I suspect that it
will, because there really is nothing anybody can do to change the
underlying nature of the sport).  The fact about endurance is that
ANYBODY can have a great endurance horse....and a great horse levels the
playing field.

And it is also nice that all these people who enjoy it in this "amateur"
way, can travel the world with their horses and share it with others of
like mind.

kat
Orange County, Calif.