Re: [RC] Feeding loose salt/trace minerals - Laney Humphrey

I'm sure some vet will weigh in but in the meantime here's my opinion for what it's worth. You don't say where you live which might make a difference. But if it were my horse, he would not be getting any alfalfa, just more hay. I give my horses just enough Purina Equine Sr. (could be just the maintenance just as well)to mix their vitamin/mineral supplement in so to me the amount of Ultium you're feeding seems a bit much. My horses never go near the salt lick and I can't imagine giving any horse, even one doing the Tevis today, a cup of salt/trace minerals. If he's concerned about a mineral imbalance it would be much better to do tests to figure out the imbalance instead of giving lots of everything which might include what is already out of balance. Soaking his feed is a good idea. If you're really concerned about his water intake, I'd switch to beet pulp instead of the alfalfa. It's a great medium for getting water into a horse! If you live in a sandy area and he eats off the ground, you might think about a possible sand build up in his intestines. Beet pulp is good for that too; as is psyllium.
To sum up my opinion which is only my opinion: he'd be better off getting his calories from higher fiber stuff: more hay and beet pulp., less alfalfa & Ultium. As working horses go, what you've described as his work load isn't very high unless you're ripping around your loops, so a diet richer in fiber that's also balanced in vitamins/minerals should help his intestines.
Laney

Soli Sorokin wrote:
My arabt recently coliced quite badly. He has recovered, but the vet
and I have been trying to nail down the cause - there was no change in
feed/routine/activity level and this horse does not have a history of
colic.  We think that it was partially due to a lack of
electrolytes/drinking combined with the fact that he has a small
(3-5lb) supplementation of alfalfa cubes which he was eating - but
then (as I discovered) sometimes stealing the remainder of the other
horses' cubes - making his diet mostly alfalfa cubes. This probably
wouldn't have been an issue normally, but with the extreme
heat/humidity we've had, combined with the fact that this horse just
will NOT freely take in salt from his salt/trace mineral block,
probably combined to make him 1) not take in enough water and 2)
become impacted on those cubes.

Vet recommends feeding him separately and soaking the cubes - which
we've been doing - and feeding supplemental salt/trace minerals thrown
in his feed. He will eat it this way, but I am concerned with how much
I am supposed to be giving. He says thrown a cup in. That seems
excessive when using the trace mineral formula, but I could be wrong.

So, my question is - how much of this should be given on a daily
basis? And should it be increased on particularly hot days and/or days
that he gets ridden? We ride a 5 mile loop about twice a week and a
15-25 mile ride about once a week. I've not had a horse before that
refuses to use their salt block entirely, so this is a new thing. His
rations right now are 3-5lbs of cubes per day (weight before soaking),
about 1-2 lbs of Ultium per day, and as much medium quality grass hay
as he'll eat (which isn't much).

Thanks!

~S