Re: [RC] 100 Mile One Day Rides - Barbara McCrary

Oh, my goodness, do you ever have it right on! There are numerous reasons given why people don't ride the 100. Some of them are perfectly understandable (the rider's health condition is the most forgivable.) Examples:

1) I rode some other tough 100 miler last month and my horse is still lame.
2) I'd love to do a 100 someday, but my horse isn't ready.
3) I'd love to do a 100 someday, but I'm not sure I can do that distance.
4) I just don't have a 100-mile horse.
5) I'll be there next year, but I just can't make it this year.

I understand every one of those reasons, and I also understand that most of them are perfectly logical. I also know that it takes as much time and energy of ride managers and volunteers to put on a 100-miler for 10 people as it does for 100. The logistics of balancing all the needs of the riders on 100 miles of trail is enormous. Trail maintenance is just the beginning. We personally maintain all the trails on our ride, with the exception of one 5-mile portion (which is maintained by Becky Glazer, who lives and rides on that portion. Thanks, Becky!!!) We even repair the trails in the state park, because they don't (CA is broke, remember?)
We are lucky to have the assistance of two horsemen's organizations as ride personnel, and the generous support of numerous neighbors. If we didn't have that, we'd be out of ride management all together.

This is year 23. We have memories of wonderful days of exploration, discovery, and pure joy of being out on this trail we love so much. We would like to share it with others.

Barbara McCrary, ride mgr.
Swanton Pacific 75/100
"The Most Beautiful Trail in the World"
Website: http://members.cruzio.com/~bigcreekranch/

See our website for information, photos, and a printable ride entry

----- Original Message ----- From: "Truman Prevatt" <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>