[RC] lightening.....better off out or In ? - rides2far

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 02:13:15 GMT Ridecamp Guest
<guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Please Reply to: Beth caglehead10@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Now, She brings her horses inside during  bad weather, she just
feels a little better do that even tho they still may be safer out .
 whatever makes you sleep better  at night !

Well I just scanned down a zillion lightning strike listings on that site
and learned a few things:

1. Never RUN for cover. Lots of people were "running for cover". That
must draw lightning.

2. Don't grab the handle of your car after running for cover. Lots of
them were "touching a car".

3. A thatch hut does not stop lightning and storms do not bring people in
India out of the fields.

4. God uses golfers for target practice.

5. Reporters think it's funny when kids get hit while playing video
games.

6. Several got hit while in their basements. Stay off concrete...it
travels through the house. (now I don't miss my old basement I used to
retreat to!)

7. Avoid softball fields at all cost.

8. Never admit to a reporter that you were "watching a storm and got
hit". It just makes them think, "Well Duh!"

9. "Taking cover under a tree" is like hiding behind a bullseye.

10. The following woman sounds like an endurance rider to me...and please
note the part about "the odds of getting struck by lightning are one in
280...hello?? Where are all you lightning strike victims? Odds are we
should have some!

05/13/2004  Jennifer Ross 0.0 F Evansville Indiana
USA  taking shelter with horse N/A During the storm,Horse,Outside,Stormy
Weather,Taking Shelter,Ungrounded Shelter
An Indiana woman survives after she is struck by lightning. Strong storms
rolled through LaGrange County Tuesday night. Jennifer Ross was riding
one of her horses and couldn't make it back to her house in time. She and
the horse took cover in a nearby wooden shelter, where Ross starting to
pat the animal who was pregnant. Lightning struck, running through the
horse and hitting the woman. The horse died instantly and the flash
knocked Ross to the ground. Ross was bruised and temporarily numbed, but
she survived. "It's my luck. I don't win the lottery but I can get struck
by lightning." According to the National Weather Service, the odds of
getting struck by lightning are only one in 280.
http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.asp?S=1866383
sbl20041311055411_story.asp_S=1866383