[RC] Big Horn 100- Just Magical - Laura Hayes

Four days and 1800 miles traveling with three mares, two dogs, and a very patient man, found us in Shell, Wyoming three days before the Big Horn 100.  It had been 18 years and thousands of miles on horseback since I was in Shell. Over all these years I had held fast to the assertion that this was the most beautiful ride in the country.  I was hoping that I hadn't been misleading myself and would be disappointed in the end, or worse yet, not finish and have to subject my husband to driving all the way home with a moping and heartbroken woman!

My mare, Equal Terms, was fit as a fiddle and fairly bursting out of her skin.  In fact, she managed to dump me when she fell backwards after shying during a little jog up the trail two days before the ride.  ET and I have frequently seen things differently- I see a log, she sees a cougar; I see hikers, she sees bay mare eating volaci-raptors.  Sometimes I see a place to trot out nice and steady and she sees a long flat stretch suitable for running like a wild and crazy woman...(sigh)...But really, we have gotten pretty attached to each other in the last couple thousand miles, and have come to enjoy our little sparring game.  I even let her win sometimes just to keep things interesting. She, on the other hand, probably says that about me.

The start was at 4 AM.  We came up to the line late and started off by ourselves.  It would seem logical to have ridden your horse in the dark at least once before going to a ride like this where you will surely start, and most likely finish, in the dark.  I, on the other hand, never got around to that one little detail of our training, but off we went into the darkness.  I was surprised to find the usually racy and wild ET was being careful and deliberate - BONUS!

Eighteen years ago my little mare, Rushcreek Noel slipped on the slick rock near the start and cut her knee - though finished fine.  Not to be outdone, ET slid with her back feet under her, sat down like a dog, and I slid off her butt to land on my feet.  Both of us were embarrassed and glad no one saw. I mounted up and we continued.  With this little incident out of the way early, I am glad to report, we did manage to stay upright for the rest of the ride.

I will not detail the trail for you- I have decided I can not describe it, and that everyone should do this trail for themselves.  Both Cindy Collins and Tom Noll wrote wonderful essays about the trail, and I could never come close to their eloquence.  I can say that seeing this country from the back of a good and willing horse, is as close to Nirvana as I can imagine.  Coming into one check point so emotionally high, I did say that this was as much fun as you could ever have with your clothes on--I have to amend that--this was as wonderful as life gets.  Riding the ridges and meadows filled will flowers, seeing the peaks and valleys in the distance, seeing a trio of bull moose in a clearing, the sparkling streams and incredible canyons....

We as endurance riders must never lose this trail.  My normally "I-am-not-riding-that-animal-that-far" husband is eager to do it next year, and we are dedicated to doing what we can to preserve this ride - it is truly a gem to the endurance world.

ET and I finished in 19 hours in fourth place, so far behind the top three that we did not stand for BC, but I was thrilled to see her trot out like a million bucks at the finish.  She had gone through each check immediately with a pulse no higher than 60, and as low as 48, and was given NO electrolytes for the ride.  Not only had we finished, but we had beat the 100 mile curse that had hounded me for a couple years.

If you really want to feel like an endurance rider, a pioneer, an Indian guide, and a strong capable rider, try the challenges of the Big Horn.  You will get no mollycoddling from the management - one of the best non riding moments of the event was when Cindy Collins said "No. we don't have a wake up call, we figure you are all big enough to get yourselves out of bed!"  There is no fanfare and log winded speeches - just good tough trail and hearty riders.

Thank you to those who made this possible - you will see the McConnon/Hayes family again.

Laura Hayes
Vine Cliff Farms
Brocton, NY
AERC# 2741