[RC] thumps again - rides2far

Well...
Funny how you guys talk about something rare and the next day it happens?
Well, yesterday I took 3 recruits on a fairly taxing training
ride...humidity high, temp high, but good shade. We had two pretty well
conditioned horses (geldings) and 2  green mares (6 yr. old lean Spotted
Saddlebred cross & 3 yr. old stocky, QH type mustang). We were walking up
the mountain and I hadn't even really thought about a walk getting to
them but when we stopped for a minute and.. whoowee were the mares
panting. Pulses weren't that high but panting BIG time. Both geldings
were bored looking. Cooled them off well in a lake on top and went for
some nice trotting along the brow of the mountain for about 3 miles.
Thats when we started hearing the rumbling in the distance.

You know how it is...ya wanna finish the trail you planned and the
thunder may rumble off in the distance for hours...and it never really
hits till 6:30 or so, you you just should keep going like you planned,
right? WRONG. Bad idea. No sooner had we reached our destination than the
storm suddenly seemed to be bearing down on us. :-P  Can you say
LIGHTNING STRIKES *immediately* followed by BIG CLAPS OF THUNDER?
shudder<  Well, actually, the big stuff was a little behind us at first
and I weighed the dangers of pushing them too hard or having to ride that
brow in the storm and we all held a good trot for a good 3 miles, though
a good mile of it was a gentle but steady climb. (If I'd been alone it
would have been a good RUN but it was still hot & muggy) We had time to
run them through the lake for a very quick lick hit with the sponge
(otherwise I was afraid they would combust) and noticed the young
mustang appeared to be thumping. :-(  Other than panting like crazy she
looked OK, was grazing vigorously. We hustled on and managed to get just
off the brow and headed down the mountain when the BIG storm hit. It was
as bad as I've ever ridden though. I took everything metal off my body
(stethoscope, watch, etc) and put them in my pack and was debating
whether I was safer on foot or on this horse with brass fittings & 4
metal shoes. The trail was a river by then and I just suggested we spread
out *a bit* so if it got one of us it wouldn't get us all (no luck, the
horses kept rushing back in to a group...or was that the riders???) I can
tell you *my* anal tone was A++++++++++++.  So..we walked down the
mountain in a downpour amid bolts & claps, and when we got to the trailer
(and of course it cleared off) the mare no longer appeared to be
thumping, panting was gone, but the hind leg, just at the flank area was
shaking like Elvis. She did not look tired. Eyes were bright, appetite
excellent.  Don't think it was shivering. It was very warm and humid.

I felt bad to have pushed her so hard, but felt good to be alive. I
wonder how related the thumps were to the extreme panting. I know when
Kaboot got thumps it was still there after he was not breathing hard at
all. Wonder how many cases come and leave and are never noticed?

Angie