RE: [RC] WHY TROT? - Chris Paus

For several years, I've been thinking I need to give up my Arabians and go to a gaited horse because my knee hurts so bad when I ride, even worse when I dismount to do a trot out at the VC.

then I started riding my young mare, Ali. I couldn't believe the difference. I dont' know if it's her body shape, the way my legs drape around her, her gait, or what, maybe all of the above. But I don't hurt nearly so bad. When I ride the Starman, it takes at least a couple of vicodin to get through a ride. I dont' take anything when I ride Ali, other than a dose of ibuprofen.

It's taken me a couple of rides to realize that, hey, I'm not hurting so bad! My grandson said it's cause, "Star moves like a rabbit, up and down." Ali sort of glides even at a trot.

Still can't do much running at the trot out, though, LOL...

chris

Nancy Sturm <nsturm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Have to agree with Heidi.

I've always thought that picking horses is like choosing husbands. It'd be
an awful fight if we all wanted the same one.

My daughter really loves her standardbred. He's a handsome horse and she
can sit his pace like she is glued to the saddle. I, on the other hand,
can't decide what to do at the pace. You can't really post and the rocking
from side to side really hurts my back.

I truly love a big trotting horse and have always thought I could ride at
a trot all day, but after I managed compression fractures of two vertebrae
last fall, I bought a little TWH gelding. I love everything about this
horse, but boy did I miss trotting. Then I discovered (lo and behold) the
little guy can really trot, too.

So I use him sort of like a five speed horse. He prefers to gait and it's
fun to ride, but when he (or I) need a break, I will let him trot. The
horse is hard wired to gait and can walk faster/better/farther than any
horse I've ever been on and since I own him and don't intend to sell him I
just figure it's a rider decision as to whether he should be "allowed" to
trot.

Nancy Sturm

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com