Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] why trot - Dana B.

"apleg8'n" wrote:

....and you will be hard pressed to find a well bred horse of
these breeds that does trot or a knowledgeable owner that would let them
trot.

Oh gee, I've been trying to stay out of this as I'm trying desperately to get ready for Tevis (and I'm just riding sweep, but jiminey there's tons to do).  But amber, this brought a smile to my face :-)

I have two Paso Fino Hilachas grandsons (that qualifies for well bred, consiering they also have Mar de Plata and Marichal and other foundation sires in abundance) that just turned 4.   I'm starting their under saddle work this summer.  What are the first two things I'm teaching them with the help of a dressage instructor?  First and foremost, how to WALK, and I mean w-a-l-k s-l-o-w-l-y.  I've yet to meet a Paso that found "let's go REALLY fast" a problem :-)  They've figured walking out well, so to spice up the lessons a bit more the second thing we are learning is to trot.

Yes, I said trot, and it's a rational and conscious decision :-p  It's also something that I had to teach them, because under saddle they only offered to gait.  But in riding my *extremely* well gaited mare, I noticed that when she tired she would trot on her own, and you bet I let her.  The Paso gaits are wonderful (I agree with Ed, they are the best !) but they require much effort from the horse, and the rack is a vertroflexed gait.  The gaits are unparallelled on slopes up or down, but the trot is great on the flats.  So I want that extra gear to help my horse, and that is why we are learning to trot.

  I'm pretty confident that the one fellow I'm working with will be able to do 50s completely in gait.  But I want a Tevis horse, and I want both of us to be able to do the best we can for each other on that last stretch along Quarry Road that is perfect trotting for a horse that's been gaiting down the hill from Tahoe.  And Ed, at that point I don't think I'll be up to 'running fast' even if my horse is :-)

So while I'll admit to not being Knowledgable, only having been in this sport for a few years, there is a method to my madness.  And most of the knowledge that I have comes from being open to off-the-wall ideas, even teaching my lovely gaited babies to trot :-)

Dana,

off to ride the high country on her trotting Arab....it's really not so bad....but my Paso's trot is waaaaay smoother :-)

PS  God speed to all the horses and riders out there on Saturday!!!!

ddbpaso@xxxxxxxxx