[RC] corn, plum pits and other funny food - Maryanne Gabbani

If corn plants were poisonous, we'd have a country full of dead horses every summer. One of the fodder crops is something that they call 'garawa' here and it only took me ten years to find out that this is simply corn planted too closely together to develop really thick stalks and lots of corn. This is one of the main summer fodders in Egypt and my horses adore it, although the summer feed of choice in the paddocks is a tall grass that I'm still working on identifying. But I've had to do some serious 'Let's be good to our neighbours' training in teaching them not to snatch at the corn and garawa as we go on narrow paths through the fields. They are pretty good at knowing it's ok to eat the grass at the side of the path but not the crops.

In August/September we have the date harvest here and if you want to see horses go nuts for fruit, fresh dates off the tree are the best. Many of my older horses are quite proficient in spitting out the seeds, but when ground, those seeds are a pretty good high protein feed and can be even used as a supplement to/substitute for flour.

I like Susan's rule....just wish we had a garbage disposal here. Have to make due with the dogs, horses, donkeys, and chickens, and with that selection there isn't much that goes into the trash.

Maryanne
Cairo