[RC] watermelon rinds, corn silk, and plum pits - Laura

I've always fed my horse watermelons: whole melons, cut up melons, the juicy sweet red insides, and the green hard rinds.  While horse camping with friends, and offering my horses the rinds of a watermelon we had eaten, one person cautioned me that her vet had told her not to feed her horses the rinds, the middles were OK, but not the rinds.

Then when we were ready to BBQ the corn for dinner I saved the husks to feed my horses.  I've always fed my horses the corn husks, the corn cobs, the corn, heck, I've even fed them the entire corn stalk.  But this same person cautioned me not to feed the corn silk.

This led to a discussion about plums and whether or not they should eat the pits.  I've often stopped at an old homestead while riding and while I am eating plums off the tree so is my horse.  I've wondered about the pits.  But I've had people tell me, "they just pass them in their manure".

So ..... was wondering if any one has information on what is OK and what is not OK to feed horses, and why.

Thanks.

Laura