[RC] Gold Country and riding horses ... NOT! - TypeF \(Jackie Floyd\)

Just a quick note in case anyone is waiting for a ride report on Gold Country ... I went, but didn't get to ride. Tank got a tummy ache. Suspicions are possibly pine needles. He was fine by afternoon but did end up getting treated.

That means I haven't ridden a horse since FORT SCHELLBOURNE! I'm going through withdrawals! My next scheduled ride is Fireworks in Santa Cruz, CA. And if I can EVER get this book done (leaves here any day now) I'll need to start actually doing conditioning rides again. After three days at FS, it was a no-brainer to let Tank rest until Gold Country. But now I really gotta ride.

This morning when I was typing up the index for the book, I realized why I am so tired ... I really had no idea I had processed THAT many rides, three pages, 2 columns wide of 8 pt. type, listing only ride names, produced over 278 ride names! Not to mention the fact that a very large portion of these rides have limited distances, multiple days, fun rides and Ride and Ties. It's somewhere over 700 rides total. Sorry, to tired to count those up! For the last five months, all I've done is work on the book, from 4:30 or 5:30 a.m. every morning until sometimes 9:00 at night. I really hadn't realized how life-consuming it has been until this morning. I certainly know I'm ready to be done with it. And I also know my house is even too dirty for ME to stand it.

In the midst of compiling all the information on the book, I bought yet another horse. That makes six horses sitting in my yard, staring at the back door. Hmmm .... what is wrong with THAT picture. And to top it off, the new horse is a stallion. Can you spell CRAZY??

At any rate, I'm ready to get back on the endurance trails and pronto. Enough writing about them!!! But I do hope you'll all benefit from the hours I've spent gathering up the material to be printed. It has come out to 500 pages including cover, I did manage to drum up enough color photos for an 8-page 4-color glossy section. There are some things I wished that I'd had time to include in the book, but I figure the next edition will be even bigger and better so we should save some for next time.

By the way, I've decided that those that purchase this edition, will get a good-sized discount on the next edition with proof of purchase. That way, everyone can have a fresh copy.

Julie Suhr has graciously written the foreword for me (she is such a sweatheart) and I am so grateful to those endurance riders who happily volunteered to write stories, articles and photos. They have added a very nice editorial touch to the guide.

The book hits the shelves the end of August (I was shooting for the beginning, but what the hey) and will be available on the Endurance Guide website, at Amazon, and other online stores, as well as endurance vendors who have expressed an interest in carrying it.

By the end of the week I RIDE!!!!!!         WOOHOO!!!

Jackie, (Tank, James Dean, Sorcerer, Crystal, Cheyenne and Annie, some of whom wouldn't care if I never rode them again)