Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.2775 Purina Senior - Chipnml

I had the same problem many years ago.  My mom's 30 year old mare started turning her nose up at it.  We switched feeds and she was fine.  Also, most senior feeds are meant to be fed as a complete ration, including roughage.  So sometimes, if they're not maintaining weight on senior feeds alone, you need to "tweak" them with some fat supplements or performance feeds.  My old gelding, who's teeth are pretty worn down, needs a lot of soaked feed in the winter.  I feed a combination of Assurance Senior pellets, Assurance Performance pellets, beet pulp, hay cubes and flax, all soaked and divided into three feedings.  He can still eat hay, but the winter I started this program (about three years ago, I think), I was having trouble keeping weight on him.

Chip