From: Chris Paus
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 8:33 PM
Subject: [RC] feed issue

Has anyone had problems with Purina feeds? I've had my aging (22YO) stallion on Purina Equine Senior for almost two years. When i got him, he was skin and bones... I had his teeth taken care of, put him on the senior feed, made sure he had grass and hay, and got him wormed. he bounced back and looked great.

Lately, he's been turning his nose up at the Purina Senior. Recently, I've bought 3 bags of Senior and two of them were moldy and I returned them to the dealers. I bought these at two different retailers, so I know now that it wasn't anything the retailers did. the second time, I decided that's it. I'm not taking any more chances with moldy feed and switched to a Manna Pro Senior feed.

Szybki has been turning his nose up at his feed lately, but he went after the Manna Pro. He's been losing weight this year. I know there's a lot of reasons for an older horse to lose weight.. teeth,  etc. And being breeding season, he's pacing a lot. but last year he didnt' lose weight like this.

It will be interesting to see if he bounces back on the other brand. If so, then I'll know it's a feed issue. If not, then I'll know it's something else. But either way, I'm not happy about moldy feed. I also feed the senior to my brood mares and take it on endurance rides. my 18 YO gelding likes it better than beet pulp at VCs. I've got a lot of horses at risk if feed is bad!

And yes, I did contact my local Purina rep to tell him about it and told him I don't want any "free bags" to make up for the problem. I haven't heard back from him yet.

chris

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com