Re: [RC] completion awards - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Very well said.  Joni and I attended a ride here in the SE region late last fall.  Arrived late to camp on Friday (dark)....was lucky to get the horses vetted that night.  After the ride, turns out that the completion award was giving "at" sign in day before.  So, we never received the t-shirts for completion.  But, I didn't say anything to the RM, that's ok, it was my fault for being so late, and your right...the ride itself was worth the cost of the ride.  And to tell the truth, I have way too many t-shirts anyhow.  Looks like I am going to have to try to make a blanket for the horse like Nina Barnett  !!!!

Jody and the girls (heading to Summer Breeze next weekend)

Maggie Mieske <mmieske@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As a rider, I wouldn't worry about it esp. if it was something simple and
inexpensive that I can get on my own...vet wrap or a hoof pick or whatever.
If it's something you absolutely can't live without (T-shirt or special ride
souvenir type of award), I'd offer to pay shipping and NOT get pushy or
snotty about it. A ride manager gives up a LOT of their personal time and
sometimes a LOT of their own money to put on a ride that is lucky to break
even and sometimes does not... this means that completion award may be
coming directly out of their pocket. If you are an independently wealthy
RM, perhaps it's not a big deal but most of us I would wager are not. :)
As a RM, I would never knowingly stiff a rider out of an award. A friendly
reminder about how much you LOVED the ride and really care about that award
as a reminder should suffice. If not, decide if you want to prejudice the
RM against you at future rides or jeopardize the ride's future by being the
straw that breaks the camel's back....I would daresay that many of the rides
that don't continue each year are because RMs just can't take the griping
and complaining. Weigh the pros and cons...if you enjoyed the ride, forget
it. If you didn't, then don't go next year. One of my mentors and friends,
whenever I am stressing over what to give as awards has reminded me that
"The ride is the prize." Something to think about.
Maggie Mieske
Wolverine Ride Manager