Re: [RC] Head to Hoof Equine Thermography - EventXC

I can't speak highly enough of the use of equine thermography, which has been grossly ignored by the veterinary profession, as a great soft tissue diagnostic tool.  I have had one for several years and the uses are amazing; I took it to Dubai in January to have it available, but, unfortunately, the only interest I found was for a non-endurance race horse who was found to have a significant bout of carpal tunnel (the leg appears significantly colder below the knee).  It is a great tool not only for saddle fit, but also for prepurchase exams....you can give a horse all the banamine and bute in the world, but the hot or cold spot will still be there.  AND research at the racetrack has shown that tendon and ligament issues will show up as problems weeks before the horse shows any lameness.

Using it as a training tool is also very beneficial.  You can use it before and after exercise to evaluate movement asymmetries.  I encourage people who are interested in using  it if it is in your area.

Kim Henneman, DVM, CVA, CVC
Park City  UT  USA