Re: [SPAM] [RC] Stallion question - Bette Lamore

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Mine run together as youngsters, and most of them have experienced
pasture life at some time or another,

I have to agree with Heidi here. I have 2 of mine together who get along fine, one is
younger (2) and defers to the "senior" who is 21, even though Romanov is
already over 15hands at 2 and taller than the older and wiser  Jumper.
Solstar, who is 14, was in with Jumper but would bite on him every time a mare
would come over to the pasture fence in the pasture across the driveway to
flirt with him--- not serious biting but I decided to put Romanov in there
instead since Solstar was a little possessive of his fantasies. Obviously I
don't have the mares very near them, it is just that they can still see them
and Solstar has a vivid imagination, apparently.
Riverdance has grown up with other colts and geldings, unlike Jumper and
Solstar who I got as adults, and was fine with them until this breeding season
when the girls were again flirting from 2 fences over. Romanov grew up next to
him and they were always nuzzling so I figured there would be no problem
putting them together; however, Dancer chased Romanov around, asserting his
dominance. His pasture is too small to run the Preakness; however, the minute I
subdivided the pasture, Dancer was nuzzling Romanov across the corral. Of
course, now that Dancer is pasture breeding a client's mare, I moved Romanov to
Jumper's pen and Solstar is alas, by himself until I can rearrange things after
Dancer is done earning his keep :-) I guess I could put Vick's in everyone's
nostrils and have far less jealousies ;-)
Sooo the life of a stallion owner is fraught with decisions, balancing
everyone's preferences with the matter of safety. Probably Romanov will go back
to being fence partners with Dancer when Dancer's seasonal work is through, and
Jumper will just have to stick up for himself more with Solstar-- they do
nuzzle each other most of the time--- (we actually named it the gay caballero
pasture) it's just occasional flareups due to those infernal trollop mares! ;-)
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians
Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov
who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance!
http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)