[RC] Equitrol - Kathleen

Title: Equitrol

Of coarse this is just a one rat studyactually two ratsbut it is enough to change my fly control methods.  I fed equitrol years ago (in the 80s) when it first came out.  My vet at the time was uncomfortable with feeding it to a hard working athlete (my gelding was doing 400-700 miles a year).  I had also noticed he acted spooky but he was a bit spooky anyway so I discounted thaton the vets advice however, I did not feed the equitrol to him any longer.

5 years ago I started a new gelding, 7 yo, spunky but easy to handle and not particularly spookypretty average.  We moved and his pasture surrounded our new houses yard so I decided to feed equitrol ( I HATE flies!).  I figured it had been around long enough by now to feed without worry.  It definitely helped with the fly problem but my gelding became so spooky he actually started dumping me.  Then my trainer told me about the lawsuit and I went on line and read about it.  One of the side effects of equitrol was heightened startle response.  I took my guy off immediately and after awhile he returned to his normal, average selfnot bomb proof but not silly.

I am now using fly predators for fly control and a couple of Rescue fly traps (had to use those with the equitrol too) and my fly problem is virtually non existent.  I cannot believe what a great job the fly predators do and my horse is not exposed to toxic chemicals!  I am using much less fly spray and it is just due to gnats.  Anyone know of a natural gnat predator?

If you are noticing behavior changes in your mare I would pay close attentionperhaps you could offer to order fly predators for her paddock so you could take her off equitrol?  Also hang some fly traps around her paddock.I would fight pretty hard to get her off the equitrol if you are already seeing behavior changes.

Kathleen