Re: [RC] round bales-anybody feeding? - Chris Paus

I feed rounds, especially in the winter. If the weather is bad, the horses have a constant supply of hay and I dont' have to face the Kansas winds to get food to them. I have a neighbor who puts up really good quality round bales. Even in the spring, the insides of the bales were fresh and green.

Round bales get a bad rap from a lot of horse people, but I think it depends on where you get them. It's essential to get good hay. Some mold pretty quickly if they aren't put up right.

I also have my own tractor with a bale spike. Here in Kansas, it's getting harder and harder to find square bales... Most farmers do rounds now because they don't need any help. ONe guy on a tractor can do it all. no loading and stacking.

I still use squares, of course. Can't stuff a round bale into my horse trailer when we go somewhere. And I feed squares when I want to monitor the amount of food my horses get. Mine actually came through a tough winter last year fatter than they went in! Good hay available 24/7.

chris

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: Ray O'Donohue rno2m@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I keep thinking of one day going to round bales.There are generally good orchard grass round bales available around here.The $avings would be tremendous-except that I would have to spend a lot of money getting set up to store and handle the bales.(Don't own a tractor.)That Klenpipe company's round bale feeder looks like a pretty clever item. For now,I've got 18 months worth of great square bales in the barn....I don't have any money,but I have hay....