[RC] overconditioned horse - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

You might add a small amount of corn, oats, barley, rather than straight corn.  If you're going to feed a straight grain, then whole oats is easier on the glucose curve and digestive tract in general than either corn or barley.  Start out with maybe a pound twice a day.  However, if grain gave him runny poop before, why wouldn't grain give him runny poop again now?

JMO, but I agree your horse is overconditioned and unless things turn around in a hurry, I'd advise staying home and saving your entry fee.  It doesn't sound to me like you have a horse with 100 miles in his gas tank if he can't manage 20 miles with any enthusiasm now.

You might be interested in the study done at Tevis a few years back correlating condition score ('ribbiness') to completion rates.  It's here:

 http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/tevis95-96.shtml and also here:

http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/tevis98.shtml

No skin off my nose, but just out of curiosity, what are your objections to beet pulp, corn oil and rice bran?

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS