[RC] long toe/low heel - Sherman

I've kept shoes on my horses since I've had them (over 2 years), but their previous owners kept them unshod 3 or 4 months (and didn't ride) during the winter. One of the horses has the tendency towards low heel/long toe in front. Should he be kept shod in the winter  to discourage wear of the heel? I do ride during the winter, but could use boots on the front then. Just wondering and thinking ahead a few months.

Kathy