[RC] Doing studies using the AERC records - Michael Maul

There's been a number of requests from members in the past for access to the AERC database so that studies can be made. There is a huge amount of data available from our rides and equine information that members can analyze to provide useful results to our membership.

The BoD has passed a motion that governs access to the data and the conditions under which it will be used. Member information such as address, phone, and email address will not be included in the dataview. Proposed studies would be reviewed by the BoD and the results published in Endurance News. No commercial use of the studies would be permitted.

All information on rides starting with the 1995 ride season is available along with information on all equines in the mileage program.

The following is a sample of some questions that members might be interested in posing.

1. Does starting a horse at a young age have an effect on its lifetime career?
2. Do equines that top ten early in their career last as long as those who don't?
3. Do multiday rides for a 4 year old equine have an effect on their later career?
4. What is the completion rate for equines that routinely top 10 compared to those who do not?
5. Does the weight of the rider matter in placing/completion/BC
6. What are the top mileage horses by breed?
7. How has the distribution of rides changed by region over time?
8. What is the average number of lifetime miles per horse in the mileage program. What factors influence this?
9. What pull categories are most important by region and can useful information come out of this. Are pull rates by category improving?

There are many other questions that can be posed and answered using our records. We would like to see members use the data in ways that benefit our members and their equine partners.

Among the requirements that has to be met to use the database is the member must have the expertise to use a database management system such as Access, Oracle, MySQL, etc. and write queries. If you don't have the expertise, you may be able to find another AERC member who does who is willing to work with you on the study. If you are willing to volunteer to write and run queries for other members - please let me know and I'll make the connection between members with questions and those willing to assist with the queries.

If you are interested in developing a study, please submit your proposal and your database experience to the AERC Technical Committee for consideration by the BoD.

Questions and proposals should go to mmaul@xxxxxxxxxx

Mike