Re: [RC] saddle fitting induced insanity - HELP - Chris Paus

 Sadly, I think the Hook saddle just isn't going to work. My horses are built with almost no withers and very wide, round backs. On one, I found a used western style endurance saddle that fits. It was a custom made one. He still has dry patches, but I think that there was so much damage to his shoulder-wither area from ill fitting saddles, that I have to really work him hard to get any sweat in those areas. He seems happy in it and gets upset if I use any other saddle on him.

My young mare is even wider than him. I found a Duett saddle that fits her beautifully. I was amazed at how she moved in it. I thought she had the most horrible trot, until I got a saddle that fit. Wow, the difference is amazing! I had to go to a 36 cm saddle.

The problem with shims is that you just are transferring the pressure from one area to another, as you have found out. when I found a saddle that fit my gelding's shoulders, it caused terrible soreness on his loin area.

I hate to tell you this but I've tried 16 saddles on my hard to fit gelding.

chris

Mary Krauss <lazykfarm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm posing this fitting dilemma to the whole ridecamp bunch because
> I'm seriously in danger of losing my mind over finding suitable
> saddles for my two horses. The first horse is nearly figured out: an
> extra-wide County Competitor dressage saddle seems close to fitting
> him--it's leaving ever-decreasing dry patches behind his shoulders.
> I'm hoping that one of these things is true: 1) the stuffing is
> conforming to his back and will eventually allow for no dry patches,
> or 2) he is using his back more and more so taking the pressure off
> that area (is that an insane thought?), or 3) the saddle-fitter can
> move the stuffing around a tiny bit so that I wind up with the elusive
> perfect fit. He moves out splendidly in it for what that's worth.
>
> Suggestions about the dressage saddle are welcome, but, here's the
> real issue: a beautiful Fred Hook saddle, correct size on paper, is
> resisting my best though awkward efforts to fit it to Salima (an
> Arabian mare and my best friend).
>
> Marlene Moss suggested: "Go look at the shoulder and the area right
> behind it.  Is it smooth or does the shoulder stand out clearly with
> hollows behind? Now, find the point of the shoulder (furthest back
> point) and put your palm over it and have your horse walk forward ?
> what happens to the shape/contour of the area around the shoulder? If
> the point of the shoulder kind of disappears and you don?t feel any
> muscling bulges and the whole area is generally very smooth, then
> saddling is typically very easy and almost any good fit will work.  If
> things are more complex, then you have to fit the ?biggest? shape of
> the stride, ensure sufficient flare"
>
> I heard and obeyed Ms. Moss. Salima has virtually no wither--just a
> smooth, flat-topped hill from the bottom of one shoulder, over the
> wither, down the other side. Traveling from the side of the neck
> back, there is a drop off behind the shoulder, then her back rises
> into the loin area. When she walks forward the point of the shoulder
> melts into her back and a bulgy muscle flexes over it. When she
> walks, that area presses up into the flared part of the tree.
> Meanwhile, the back of the saddle, which has no skirt to speak of,
> seems to have very little contact with her back.
>
> Ok, now, if you're not too sick of this, here is what I've tried: a
> saddle fitter suggested shims to fill in the dip behind her mutton
> withers so I ordered two sets, one that is 1/2" and one that is 1".
> The larger one worked for the left side but was not enough to free the
> right shoulder which definitely needed the whole 1 1/2". With
> shimming the bridging was nearly gone but this wide saddle (quarter
> horse bars) still pinched. (I have no idea if I'm even placing these
> shims correctly and I hate them anyway because they're a pain but
> thought a shim pad eventually might make it easier if they prove to be
> the fix.) She didn't nip at me when I tightened the girth this time,
> [...]

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com