[RC] Short girths, cutting flaps;sadddle pads??? - L gin

Reading the digest is alot faster!--
Thanks to those who answered my saddle difficulty. Several people mentioned that the Len Brown Corrector pad helped them . I am going to try it> My saddle was a good fit for him before. It may just be the layoff. It also may help with the tendency to roll and creep which I use a breatplate and crupper for. Same with my mare...
Len suggest that elastic girths may not be a good thing , make the saddle less stable,(and I have stability problems) And I use them (from that Hunt seat training) so I am going to a non elastic girth. The trick is finding one small enough, especially if not using thick pads,(which I may or may not do , while experimenting with his pads-- I also ordered the "design-a pad").
So where can I find maybe a 20" girth for english billets? I am and have used a 22, 24- but it depends on the pad--course I may be able to use a 22 or greater as it won't be stretching longer. I would love some king of contour as he girths right up there at the elbow.
Or maybe a mohair string girth.
The other option is to cut my flaps shorter. My billets run in a channel with a single flap over it. I alway thought they were too long. I had to cut off about 4-6" when I got them as they met at his belly. My flaps are 38" aussie endurance flaps. (I love this saddle).And you girth it like a dressage saddle right up to the flaps. But it should reach the middle of billets and it is up to the flap almost . I am thinking about cutting flap and inch or two shorter (I have a 30.5 inseam and ride with a fair bend in my leg- to get around his well sprung ribs). and the billet channel , as I'd like the billets to be a bit more forward so as to not pull the saddle forward. Right now I take the forward strap out of the channel and girth with one in and one back.
I may do this myself -- the cutting anyway. Andy suggestions about a cutting tool? I am used to sewing and upholstering etc... how hard can it be :o)
Then either I go to the shoe repair guy and have him restitch the channel after I cut it -- or I can do it by hand with my awl---- If so, just heavy duty waxed thread similiar to what is there now?
Taking it to a saddle shop in Atlanta is a killer on price and takes weeks, and or you get a hole in the wall guy. I figure if I cut it , then he just stitches it or I do I won't mind as much-- and know what I want ..... Whereas if I tell them, they write it on a ticket and ti gets lost in translationa nd they don't do what I want....the 3rd party deal....
Then I could use a longer girth and get it up and away from the elbows well.