Re: [RC] TMJs - EventXC

In a message dated 6/27/05 9:58:47 PM, ridecamp-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

What do you mean by neurologically active?

That area is a major intersection for the networking of various neuro pathways (like the sympathetic chain, femoral and radial plexi, etc).   You have the brain transitioning to the spinal cord as well as several cranial nerves emerging from the skull.

An interesting video gait study on flyball dogs showed that the dogs jumped differently going back over the jumps depending on if the ball was symmetrically held in the mouth or only on one side (thus making a difference in the joint space from one side to the other).  In humans, jaw issues have been shown to affect proprioception (in subtle, but measureable ways).  Anecdotally I have noticed that horses that are already slightly ataxic (1-2/5) will show differences in observable ataxic symptoms when straight in hand or lunging depending on if we are using a bitless bridle, a narrow diameter snaffle or a large K-K snaffle.  One of these days I want to wrap some tape on one side and play around with that too.  I think the flyball study is really interesting.  Makes ya' wonder what all the double bridles in the dressage horses are doing?!

Kim Henneman, DVM, CVA, CVC