[RC] Newbie needs help...again (long)! - Brian & Sara Minsk

Sorry to post such stupid questions. I hate to bother people but I need some opinions.

I am conditioning my 5 year old...still!! She only has about 48 hours under saddle. We are preparing for our first 30 mile LD ride in November. I ride her 3 x a week with one long ride on the weekend (plan on building this up to 20 miles but it's about 10-12 miles right now). We do mostly walking and some trotting (and some cantering..her idea not mine!).

Here is my first question:

I use a heart rate monitor. However, how do I know if she is the aerobic zone so that her heart and fitness is improving? Can anyone give me a rough guideline numbers-wise? I have been ultra conservative with her conditioning and mostly walk. I want to start picking up the pace a tad as we are getting passed by 27 year old foundered quarter horses with navicular! I guess I have taken the long, SLOW, distance a little to literally!! I know the actual range will vary with each horse but if someone could just tell me an approx. range that would be good. Now, when she hits 120 I slow her down to a walk. I don't know why but I have 120 in my head for being to fast????

Also, how fast should she recover from exerting herself and what number do I want her under? For example, we are strong trotting and her HR is 120. I bring her to walk. Should she be under what number after how many minutes?

Stupid Question #2:

Is the long sponge rope just suppose to hang like it is off of my saddle? Won't it get caught on something?

Stupid question #3:

I am planning ahead and was wondering how much grain do people feed at vet checks? What is a "slurpie" and can I make one with the grain I feed (vintage racer-beet pulp based). It's weird because I was always taught to never feed a horse after she has been worked for at least an hour or don't work her after she has eaten for at least an hour. Boy, with endurance it seems as if I have to relearn everything!

Stupid question #4:

What is road work? How often do you do it and at what pace? I do ride her on the road and mostly walk. However, I do trot her up the one long hill.

Stupid question #5:

Have people experienced horses getting sour if they train alone? I pretty much ride alone. I do ride an organized pleasure ride on the weekends but usually go solo. I tried riding with others but they wanted to canter the whole time and she wasn't ready for that. Now, I ride alone because I can better control her pace. Will this be bad for her psychologically to always go alone?

Stupid question #6:

I have been letting her grab leaves and eat as we go. People yell at me and tell me that I shouldn't do that and it is bad behavior. However, I am thinking it would be good for her to have food in her stomach. Who is right?

Last stupid question:

For people who have barefoot horses: my easy boot epics have gotten sucked off at a mud hole. Tried old macs and she tripped and ripped the strapping/buckle off. Going back to easy boot epics. Do you wrap the foot with vet wrap every time you ride or just at a actual ride? Will wrapping the hoof and pastern help keep them on? Am I the only one that has to use a leatherman to get them on and off? I find this part crappy and tedious.

Thank you in advance!

Sara Minsk and Teefa