Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.2746 Tying to the trailer, etc - Chipnml

As always, I think it depends on the individual horse.  I had one that would pull back during storms, and occasionally break the halter.  I never quite trusted him in a pen, figuring he might panic and go through it.  Since it was alway the hardware that broke on the halter, I switched to a rope halter, and used a tie (I think I got it from Libertyville) that had a bungee in just one part, so it had some give, but wouldn't stretch too much.  I also tied him fairly short, since he was the type who would freak out if he got a leg over the rope.  When I first got Cheers, I was pretty careful about tying him, but one day I watched him put his leg over the rope, and he calmly figured out how to correct himself.  He would lie down while tied, but my other horse wouldn't.  In the last 4 or 5 years I use a pen (step-in posts and wide electric tape, with a charger that runs on 4 D-cells), and he's just fine.  I consider myself very lucky to have such an easy horse (at least in camp ;-)), and, now that I'm considering a new horse, I just hope it will have as much common sense as Cheers ended up having!

Chip and Cheers (the "been-there-done-that" horse)