[RC] tevis waiting list/Life's short - rides2far

PS.  Come on SE riders, next year we attack the OD, and then the
Tevis.   Who wants to be with Marie and Me....and I think Roger
Barrett.  Angie???? Want to ride Aries at the Tevis???

Ahh, there are SO many variables that could kill a plan between now and
then but let's just say...if Aries is good, I'm good, and the world's
still turning, life's short and we gotta live so why not?

On a serious note. I had a student who was an *amazing* skater...as in
one of those kids who goes flying down the sidewalk, leaps up, rides the
handrail, leaps across to the other hand rail on the other side, turns a
few times and jumps off the side of the retainer wall the handrail was
above and lands skating backwards 1 story down. He was also a movie
maker...carried a camera everywhere, filmed other skaters and had them
film him. He won a city wide movie contest last year. He also taught me
how to use a movie making program so his number is at the top of my
cellphone directory for tech help. May 23 he was on the 5th floor of an
abandoned building taking photos with a new camera and stepped onto a
piece of corrugated fiberglass roofing laying on the floor, only it
wasn't laying on the floor it was laying over a 5 story abandoned
elevator shaft. He fell five stories and landed on some boards which kept
him from going down to the basement. He had a compound fracture of the
femur but otherwise  hardly had a scratch on him. However, he has been in
a coma for 32 days now. He'll never walk again, can only hope he's not
paralized from the neck down. Crushed his C-5 which was replaced with
metal and totally dislocated a lower vertabrae which is now braced with a
rod. All these years I've been on his case about how dangerous his
*skating* was, and he gets hurt taking pictures! I watched a video of him
today doing all those amazing things, then read the update on the website
they set up for him describing the tremendous news that he licked a
lollipop on command yesterday. The moral is, live while you can. Every
day's a gift. Asher and I had really hit it off because we both had
hobbies we were obsessed with. He was more like us than most.

Prayer is a huge part of Asher's recovery effort and I invite any of you
who have the urge to visit http://asher.chattablogs.com Asher's dad has
been very specific in his request for prayer each day and it's one of the
best uses of the net I've come across so far.

Thanks,
Angie