[RC] disturbing training techniques - agilbxr

I was out working the Spotted Monster tonight (who was much better behaved...it wonderful what heat and humidity do for attitude sometimes), and one of our new boarders was out there working her mare.  She has an Impressive-bred Appy mare who is pretty nice, but not my kind of horse.  She does (ugh) western pleasure with her.

I was brushing about 12 pounds of dirt off of Spot, and I noticed her putting leather things on her mare's hocks, then tieing those to the front of her western saddle.  I asked what they were, and they were "hock hobbles".  Basically, they keep the back legs up under the mare, not allowing her to extend them backwards.  She then went out and lunged the mare (walk/trot/canter!) in these things.  It was obvious to ME that the mare was unconformtable.  She had her nose between her knees, trotting and cantering.  Poor thing!

After she finished lunging the mare in the hock things, she then got on, and the mare peanut rolled around the ring.  She ended the ride by chatting with me (i was actually holding my tongue...I was proud of myself here) and insulting some of my horsey friends, and saying that the gaited classes at the local horse shows need to be removed...that they take up too much time.  Sigh...  I like endurance.  No gadgets, no snobbery (my grey arab is better than your bay arab!), and everyone is always so nice and helpful and supportive.  Oh, and the good of the horse almost always comes before anything else. I can tell that I'm going to have to keep clear of that one, I'm not sure I can keep my mouth shut for too long.

Anyway, got grocerys to put away, and a dinner to make, but of course, the horse stories come first!  I know what my priorities are....

Juli and Spot (I can peanut roll...of course, I'm bucking when I do that)
and Alpine on vacation (I don't have to work....)