[RC] For anyone recovering from a surgery! - Kathleen

Title: For anyone recovering from a surgery!

I am also a member of the Best thing I ever did to feel better Club.  I have always felt it was the best and worst thing that ever happened to meI became free of all the horrible symptoms of polycystic ovary disease but also had to close the chapter on the possibility of having my own children.  I was amazed at how much better I felt following the surgery.  I continued to gain energy and strength for at least a year after a complete bikini line hysterectomy.  I had not realized how much all the problems I was having were wearing me out until I was not having them anymore.  I guess the moral of the story is dont put off the inevitable.  I did schedule my surgery during late November with the idea of being able to do some easy skiing and riding by January.  Due to complications (I had to have a second surgery in late January to repair damage to my bladder in the first surgery and had to wear a catheter bag from the beginning of Dec until the end of Feb) I was not riding until the beginning of March.  I took that spring as an opportunity to do some other things with my horses.  I went to a balanced riding seminar and a Tellington-Jones clinic and did some easy trail rides with our local Backcountry Horsemens group.  I would not have taken the time out from endurance to do those things if I hadnt been forced to even though I wanted to do them!  I learned a lot at both clinics that I was able to use when I started back doing 50s in May.  So consider scheduling some non-endurance horse fun during your recovery phaseit could be one of the silver linings in the cloud of having surgery.

I also agree with Heidi and Susanpain meds have a purpose in healing and helping you to be able to get up and walk walk walk!

And besides your husbands helping out, let your neighbors and friends help out toomy neighbors helped out with food the first couple weeks and with transportation when I wasnt allowed to drive.  People want to be able to lend a hand so let them help you with laundry or housekeeping or whateverit makes us all feel good to help each other out in a time of need.

Kathleen

Dont forget to have a party and give all your supplies away to women friends who still have to deal with the curse! hahahaha

Whenever anyone complains about cramps I always say I know a cure for that!