Re: [RC] mare for hire/having a colt for a friend - Chris Paus

Boy howdy, I sure would have a contract in place BEFORE the semen is shipped! there's lots of questions to ask. Basically your friend is leasing your mare.

Where is the mare going to live while she's pg and nursing? Your place or friend's?
Who will pay the vet bills, things happen!
If the ultimate bad thing happens and your mare dies, who pays for that? euthanasia, burial or rendering, etc?
What happens if the foal requires neonatal care? I've had two foals require transfusions becaue they did not get enough colostrum right away. That's pretty pricey!
Who will be responsible for training the colt so it can be separated from the dam at weaning and go home with your friend?

Yes, there are contracts available.

If I were to do this, the mare would stay at my place and the lessee would be responsible for her vet care and all the foal's care. I figure even with using my own stallion, the cost feeding the mare, keeping her wormed, vaccinated and her hooves trimmed, and getting a foal on the ground is about $1,000. It would be awfully generous of you to pay all that so your friend can have a colt! More generous than I would be.

Of course the argument can be made that you would be feeding and caring for the mare anyway, BUT there are more risks to the mare in pregnancy and foaling and it is a special condition that you don't normally encounter in caring for your mare. How much is your mare worth to you as you rent out her uterus?

I think these are questions you and your friend should come to agreement on and then put it in writing so there are no hard feelings if something should happen out of the ordinary.

chris

Ridecamp Guest <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please Reply to: Cindy Wagner paul@xxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Help with questions on having my mare breed, (having a colt for a friend..) What do I do? How do I protect my mare? Are there contracts? Who pay's the bills, etc. etc.
Problems that have happened to you, good & bad.. I know there must be a name for this?
My friend is having seman shipped in..