[RC] re: BH vs. Tevis - Cindy Collins

Though I am the Big Horn's number one fan, I have to agree with Frank.
Sorry, Patti!  It is like comparing apples and oranges.  I actually think
they are relatively equal in difficulty, but for different reasons.  To
me, the brutal heat, the dust, and the crowded conditions make the Tevis
very tough.  I also think a downhill course, like Tevis, is very tough on
horses' front ends.  Also, there is a certain level of pressure involved
in the Tevis because it is so high profile.  Generally speaking, the
Tevis' management is outstanding and everything runs very smoothly...it
should with sponsorship and 500 volunteers! I, personally, think the Big
Horn trail may be a little tougher than the Tevis.  I believe the Big Horn
is much more beautiful.  I just don't think you can beat the scenery.  It
is a more old fashion ride, very laid back.  I think the management and
vets really try to get every one through.  Marking is always a struggle,
but that's a whole other issue.  I believe that both rides require an
excellent crew.  There are some folks that do both "cavalry" style, but
generally it causes problems on either ride.  Big Horn management has
about 12 regular volunteers and that makes quite a difference.  Anyhow, I
have total respect for both rides.  I believe they, along with rides like
the OD, Virginia City, Swanton Pacific, etc., are the foundation of the
sport.  I don't think you have really experienced endurance riding in the
form the founders envisioned until you have ridden these rides.  We hope
to see you at the Big Horn soon.  Cindy